First Round 2014 MLB Mock Draft (5/31/14)1. Astros - SS Nick Gordon (Olympia High School)
2. Marlins - LHP Carlos Rodon (NC State)
3. White Sox - LHP Brady Aiken (Cathedral Catholic High School)
4. Cubs - C Alex Jackson (Rancho Bernardo High School)
5. Twins - RHP Tyler Kolek (Shepherd High School)
6. Mariners - LHP Sean Newcomb (Hartford)
7. Phillies - RHP Grant Holmes (Conway High School)
8. Rockies - RHP Aaron Nola (LSU)
9. Blue Jays - RHP Touki Toussaint (Coral Springs Christian Academy)
10. Mets - SS Trea Turner (NC State)
11. Blue Jays - RHP Jeff Hoffman (East Carolina)
12. Brewers - LHP Brandon Finnegan (TCU)
13. Padres - C Max Pentecost (Kennesaw State)
14. Giants - RHP Sean Reid-Foley (Sandalwood High School)
15. Angels - OF Michael Conforto (Oregon State)
16. Diamondbacks - RHP Tyler Beede (Vanderbilt)
17. Royals - RHP Erick Fedde (UNLV)
18. Nationals - SS Jacob Gatewood (Clovis High School)
19. Reds - 3B Michael Chavis (Sprayberry High School)
20. Rays - C Kyle Schwarber (Indiana)
21. Indians - 1B Casey Gillaspie (Witchita State)
22. Dodgers - LHP Kodi Medeiros (Waiskea High School)
23. Tigers - OF Bradley Zimmer (San Francisco)
24. Pirates - OF Monte Harrison (Lee's Summit West High School)
25. Athletics - OF Derek Hill (Elk Grove High School)
26. Red Sox - OF Derek Fisher (Virginia)
27. Cardinals - RHP Luis Ortiz (Sanger High School)
28. Royals - OF Michael Gettys (Gainesville High School)
29. Reds - 1B AJ Reed (Kentucky)
30. Rangers - LHP Foster Griffin (First Academy)
31. Indians - SS Ti'quan Forbes (Columbia High School)
32. Braves - RHP Nick Burdi (Louisville)
33. Red Sox - OF Marcus Wilson (Junipero Serra High School)
34. Cardinals - 1B Braxton Davidson (T.C. Roberson High School)
A few notes:- Where there's smoke, there's fire, as the Astros seem to be going in a different direction from Aiken and Rodon. They've been linked to Kolek, but the Gordon rumors have started much more recently and I'm willing to buy them for now. This shakes the top up.
- Marlins have been linked to Jackson and the front office would die for Aiken, but owner Jeff Loria wants Cuban-born Rodon and he's shown the ability to flex his muscle.
- White Sox have been in and out on Kolek and Aiken falling to them would be a godsend.
- Kolek and the Twins were made for each other. Front office would be devistated if he was taken in the top four.
- The Phillies really screwed themselves after the NCAA turn-in scandal, so agents won't want to deal with Ruben Amaro Jr. They're going prep arm, just a question of Holmes or Toussaint, but Holmes is the better player, so for now I have them taking Holmes.
- Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has a past of trying to underslot guys in the first round and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued here with Jeff Hoffman, who really doesn't have many options after having Tommy John surgery. Jerk move, but likely either 9 or at 11. The other pick is almost assuredly a prep arm, likely Toussaint.
- Padres would be thrilled to get Pentecost and there's a real chance he slips if Gordon goes first overall and shakes everything up.
- The Royals want a pitcher and if the teams above them make a run at most of the top arms in the draft, they'll likely take the risk on the injured, but talented, Erick Fedde.
- While the Nationals would love a shot at Hoffman or Fedde, trying to replicate the success of Lucas Giolito, they go best player available with Jacob Gatewood.
- The Rays want a bat and so do the Indians, so Schwarber will almost certainly go to one of the two, likely the Rays for the time being.
- There have been whispers about the Dodgers on Medeiros. He's not their first choice, but give the shakeup above pick 22, he would be a good fit.
- Most people have Burdi at 23, but I think the Tigers go best player available and stick with the developed Bradley Zimmer.
- Everyone seems to agree that Luis Ortiz is the Cardinals' guy this year, although they could take the unlikely risk of waiting for him at 34.
- If AJ Reed falls to 29, there's no doubt in my mind that the Rays take him. They seem heavy on him or Gillaspie if he slips.
- Indians and Braves go best player available with Burdi and Wilson